Thursday, January 15, 2009

Youtube's Symphony Orchestra

I'm not sure how many people have seen it, but I have been made aware of something incredibly unique to date. Youtube is commissioning a Symphony at Carnegie hall. Now they could have recruited any Orchestra around the world, and to help out they are partnering with the London Symphony. However, here's where things get interesting. They are holding auditions via Youtube videos. For more details, here's the link: Youtube Symphony Orchestra

So why do I mention this. Well, I've been thinking of auditioning. The question is, which instrument. My principle instrument of choice is the flute, but looking at the auditions already submitted, I have no chance. I'm good, but I'm no virtuoso, and as several have already submitted auditions, yeah. I'm not as strong on Piccolo (not to mention I severely dislike that accursed instrument), but it would be an easier competition, as few have auditioned for it already (and quiet honestly, I'm as good if not better than those who have auditioned already.)

I'm getting to a point where I either need to drop it or start practicing. Auditions go on for a little while longer, and I'm sure the better players are going to put in their auditions last minute, as to give them every chance to practice they can take. So, Should I, Shouldn't I? At this point, I figure what do I have to lose? I practice a fun piece, I submit a video, if I win yay for awesome experience time. If I don't, well it's not like I don't have opportunities to play with the UAH Pep band.

1 comment: